Skip to content

Assam Assembly Informed on Deportation, Border Fencing and Assam Accord Progress

The Assam Assembly was informed on Wednesday that 51 declared foreigners and one new illegal immigrant were expelled between December 20, 2025, and January 31, 2026, under the Immigrants (Expulsion from Assam) Act, 1950. Assam Accord Implementation Minister Atul Bora said another 1,421 illegal foreigners were sent back as per MHA orders between February 2025 and January 2026.

Over 1.70 lakh illegal foreigners have been detected so far, while around 31,000 have been pushed back in the last 40 years. Nearly 4.35 km of the India-Bangladesh border in Assam remains unfenced due to objections from Bangladesh, while the rest is guarded by BSF and state forces.

Bora also said work has begun on implementing 52 of the 67 recommendations of the Justice Biplab Sharma Committee on Clause 6 of the Assam Accord, with the remaining proposals sent to the Centre.

Back To Top